Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

PLUS SIZE OPINION: BRANDS THAT DON'T LIKE US, IS IT REALLY A BAD THING?



FIRST OFF, let it be clear that the photo I got above is from google.com. The designer, design and model related/found in the photo has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The photo is just just for mere visualization of the article.

Another brand is under fire again for not supplying plus size fashion. This time it is athletic wear giant --- Lululemon. To be clear, I think what people are more pissed about is the fact that they have sizes 12 and 14, but an insider stated that they never see the light of day. They just place it at the store room. Furthermore, it was declared that the plus size women are never Lululemon's target as they only view their customers as sizes 10 and below. Therefore, they just declared that their niche customers is 10 and below.

And I am thinking, should we really be offended if we are not catered by a specific brand? After all it is nothing personal. (Not unless it is like A&F wherein the owner really stated that 'fat people are ugly' paraphrased. But then again, even with that, do we really have to be?) It basically means that they do not want my money and goodness knows that is a plus for me --- more savings and the huge probability of finding a better brand who carries my size and actually wants my money. 

As such, for me, the case of Lululemon, since they have not let out any statement yet about this, is all about their target market and (un)fortunately it is not us. So again, do we really have to be offended by this?

Don't get me wrong, I do feel let down if I go into a store and they do not have my size (US size 14-16 here). Specifically when I really want that style. But, I am an optimist and whenever this happens (and as a brand owner too), I know that if I am not catered, it is usually the store's lost and never the customers. So, in the end, I still feel better.

Also as a plus size designer, I also got exposed with other plus size brands and I must say, there is a lot of choices out there. All we need to do is google them, ask our other plus size friends, see plus size bloggers, know where they got it etc. So in the end, it is really very easy to find brands (not necessarily plus size) that would like to have our business.

So in the end for me, if I hear a brand that doesn't like to cater to plus size women, I do not feel like blasting them. I might get under fire for this comment, but as an optimist, it only means that I am meant to support brands that want to support me and I'd rather do that than beg for these solidified companies to open themselves to me.

How about you? What do you think? If brands don't like us, do they really deserve the public trial?

Cheers!

Aries