Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, September 6, 2013

PLUS SIZE MODEL: "REKOVERY: HOW KHRIS GUARIN SURVIVED A HEALTH CRISIS"



Khris Guarin, Erzullie Icon and Plus Size Model, recently battled and survived Type II Diabetes. She gives us an intimate interview about her ordeal, hoping to inspire other women who are about to or is undergoing the same thing.

1. Your last project was Erzullie’s 2nd anniversary editorial. What happened after?


I felt really proud and privileged to be part of Erzullie’s 2nd Anniversary editorial. I did not model the clothes. I represented the core values of the brand -- Fierce + Confidence.

After that, a lot has changed. Right now, I'm more focused at work and get decent hours of sleep during weekends. I do not party or travel as much as I used to. And I had to make abrupt changes in my lifestyle as I was recently diagnosed with a disease.

Just this summer, I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2.

2. What happened when you knew that this was actually happening? 




I was in denial at first. I thought that if I did crash dieting, it will go away but it only got worse. I was hospitalized for days and my work got affected.  It was very difficult. I hated myself because I did this to me. I felt that people around me judged me. Parang “What do you expect? E ang taba mo.” (What do you expect?  You’re fat.)\

3. So how did you pull yourself up? 




As cliche as it sounds, I woke up one day and decided to fight this battle. I can't lose to myself. I made changes in my daily routine to keep my sugar in normal range. I take my medicines religiously and do physical activities more often. I pray every day for guidance to get through this dark road.



Now, I am now more focused on the kind of growth that I want in my life. I want to advance in my career and hopefully in my love life, haha! I'm thinking of going to graduate school, but for now, really, I just want to live healthy every day.

***

Here is us, wishing Khris Guarin, all the amazing health she can have! Get better, Erzulliesta!

Cheers!

Aries

Erzullie is a fierce plus size fashion brand based in the Philippines. Shop online: http://erzullie.wix.com/shop